Monday, March 22, 2010

What I like


...about these so much are the colours I think. And the otherwordly feel of looking back in time.
The caption under this one reads "Around the Commonwealth by Aeroplane was created in 1911 when the Commonwealth was only 10 years old. The Northern Territory was still part of South Australia and the Federal Capital hadn’t yet been named – it was just a name on the map between Sydney and Melbourne. At that time aeroplanes were really new and needed many stops to refuel before arriving at their destination. In a trip from Sydney to Brisbane there were five stops, unlike today’s direct flight of about 90 minutes."

Shamelessly borrowed from the National Archives.


Courtship game, from 1909, gave me a chuckle too.

1 comment:

Oh hello! I do like a wee comment, that way I know you exist!
Sorry I had to turn the ANNOYING word verification back on, but I've been getting too much spam lately. :(

Search This Blog